View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrap View Post
Terry is quite correct - it shouldn't affect PHD if it's not square - it will just make things look bad on the screen.

What are you options for AG speed? Mine has 0.25x, 0.5x and 1x sidereal rate for guiding corrections. I don't think it would make too much difference as PHD will "calibrate" at what ever speed you have set.

DT
I have tried various AG speeds. I use EQMOD and guidemaster rather than phd but it shoudn't make much difference.
I fiddled with the DEC worm on my mount to try to reduce backlash. This is quite touchy. By making the worm tighter you can reduce the backlash but it seems to take a bit more "strength" to make the mount move at all. It slews perfectly well at higher speeds but at very slow speeds it will stall. I found that if I use 0.25x or 0.5x the mount would stall at certain points and not actually move in RA. I turned the speed up to 1.0x and it works. The guiding is the same. When you calibrate the software will just give shorter pulses.
I then tried loosening the worm slightly and this stopped the stalling at the expense of more backlash. A compromise that I think is inherrent in the quality of the mount (EQ6). Hopefully when I get my new mount (NJP) later this year this will become unimportant.