View Single Post
Old 19-08-2020, 10:02 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Peter
We call our photos all sorts of names so it can be confusing,...

Photos = "subs" = "light frames" = "captures" and there maybe more.

Flat frames are to pick up dust ( mainly) in your system.

I second Martin's advice re StarTools but also Photoshop can be handy..if you don't have photo shop download Gimp it's free and very powerful these days ... with Gimp you can play with brightness and contrast, ..a few things really...but you can get it even before StarTools to have some control over your images.
If I could suggest for your next session. Address polar alignment, if you can't get it right back off exposure times until no trailing. Get focus right..do you have a Mask? But take time to get to as best you can..take a caputure, sub or light frame and look hard at it ..blow it up to max and them take another with further adjustement until you are sure its as good as you can get..I used to take 15 minutes when I used a dslr with no blow up feature...again polar...start... maybe try one minute..if you get trails, drop to 45 seconds..mmm still there try 30...20...even 15 if that is what it takes....take say 50 ( as many as you like really) then put on your lens cap and take 10 " darks" ( more it you like)...even try to take a couple of flat frames...although I still don't bother ..one day I will. I would take hundreds and select only the best..takes time but its the littlecthings that make images improve.
Go thru your light frames and make sure they are decent, be prepared to delete the ones that show an obvious problem..a cloud made it dimmer or a plane flew by...then stack them all in Deep Sky Stacked.. lights, dark flats...in DeepSkyStacker you can adjust colour and brightness of the final image but it is best not to adjust that image at all in Deep Sky Stacker( but if you don't have startools or gimp you can at least do some adjustments)..
Take your final image into Gimp...adjust brightness and contrast ..generally see what you can use..just for starters and so you feel like you are doing something...or better still to Startools.
In Gimp try the dodge and burn tools... I love them they selectively brighten or darken specific regions so you can fix a burnt out spot or darken a dust lane for impact. With StarTools you really do not have to adjust the settings much...if you get it I am sure we can give you a very simple work flow to get you started...
How are you at getting a good polar alignment? It all turns on that.
Alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 19-08-2020 at 10:16 AM.