View Single Post
Old 12-08-2017, 03:01 PM
gregbradley

Most of these Nikons are using the Sony Exmor 24mp APSc sensor. Not all I think but a lot do.

Its the same sensor in the Fuji X latest models and Sony A6000 series.
Its a fabulous sensor.

Fuji XT2 has excellent other aspects for astro. It has a built in intervalometer which is handy. You can shoot up to 15 minutes exposure time and set tit o take as many as you like.

EVF cameras may have a slight edge for focusing. I'd check that out with the Nikons. I presume they have live view with magnified view. My D800e had it and then a firmware update came out and kind of buried the controls to make it do that but it could still do it just not as well.

Fuji Xt2 has a dual swivel LCD which is vital for astro unless you like lying the ground to see image. Also for focusing. You can simply angle the viewfinder up, select a bright star, hit magnified view at ISO6400 and then focus manually.

Not sure if you can tether a Fuji though. It can be controlled from your smartphone though.

XT2 has one of the cleanest low noise sensors around. Fuji does not do any funny business with the RAWs. Not everyone is a fan of RAW converters as it may require a different RAW converter to Adobe Lightroom.

Battery life is poor with the Fuji X mirrorless unless you get a grip with extra batteries or use an external USB power pack to power the camera.

Fuji X has good Ha response for simple nightscape images but for deepsky nebula you'd probably want a modded one. There are several Fuji XE2 modded for astro on Ebay.com. About US$900 or so.

Modded Canons go from as low as US$270 and an expensive one is about US$450.

Greg.