View Single Post
Old 16-03-2008, 12:35 AM
ngcles
The Observologist

Observation Report March 15

Hi Leinad,

Yep a very good report.

I'm particularly impressed that you found the PNe NGC 3195 in Chameleon -- I think this is the southernmost "bright" deep sky object in the sky and I believe is the southernmost in the Caldwell catalogue.

M4 is a glorious object in its own right. It is a pity in some ways that beginners start with Omega Centauri (NGC 5139) and work down, because nearly everything after that, you will think looks poor (by comparison). Take a good look at a few (of the many) 9th and 10th magnitude globulars with your 8" and you will soon appreciate M4 for the wonderful spectacle it is. Did you notice the line of bright (comparatively) stars crossing the cluster from north to south? It is pretty prominent in 8-10" 'scopes. That star-chain starts to loose its prominence from about 16" aperture upwards and by 40" is lost completely.

You wrote:

"Dob base turning could be smoother. Project to do list."

If it is Teflon on Formica (of some sort) you might find a very light application of the spray-on furniture polish "Mr Sheen" might be helpful.

You wrote:

"Plan next hunt for galaxies, planetary nebula, more clusters, double stars and new constellation objects."

This is the mission-statement of every Deep sky observer -- Congratulations, by definition now, you are one (sic).

You wrote:

"Investigate new eyepieces. "

I see a fiscal crisis looming ...

You wrote:

"Prepare more detailed star charts for Telrad and starhop mapping."

This will make it easier no doubt.

You wrote:

"Saturn is just mesmerizing to view."

I believe my first view of Saturn was in January of 1974 and I've been looking ever since (and have therefore seen a full Saturnian year). Am still mesmerised 34 years later ...

Best,

Les D