View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 10:05 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

NGC 6752, a cracker of a GC!

Thanks all for your comments. This sketch of the Eagle has quickly become one of my fav's too. Funny enough, I keep seeing new details in it whenever I come back to it.

The following sketch was done the same night as the Eagle sketch.

There are few deep sky objects that are rarely matched to their impact through the eyepiece. When you first see them through the eyepiece, you lift your head for just one moment & think “Holy heck, did I just see that!”, and then rush back to the eyepiece .

NGC 6752 has to be one of those objects. This southern sky globular cluster in the constellation Pavo, is one cracker of a GC. A naked eye object, it is easily overlooked as it lies in a tremendously busy part of the sky. My first look at it had me running around the place saying to folks “you gotta have a look at this through your scopes!”

Not only is it a bright GC, but it is jam-packed with lines, arcs, loops, and figures made up of stars. One particularly lovely alignment of stars seems to trace a large looping love heart shape. My sketch shows it on the left side of the main ball. Sketch was done in just over an hour.

This GC is one big sucker. The mistiness that reaches out from the core is very expansive. The number of resolved stars is wicked. This GC’s reach was huge, even though transparency of the sky wasn’t brilliant.

This is one target that I would really love to have a squiz at through a monster dob. I might even run the risk of trashing my night vision with it this way, .

I can only hope that this sketch evokes some of the immense beauty of this cluster. It is just WOW!

Alex.

Object: NGC 6752, globular cluster in Pavo
Scope: 17.5” f/4.5
Gear: Unitron 16mm Konig, 125X, 33.6’ AFOV
Date: 2nd July, 2011
Media: White pastel, white charcoal pencil & white ink on A4 size black paper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC 6752, July 2011.jpg)
83.6 KB385 views

Last edited by mental4astro; 12-07-2011 at 12:52 PM.