View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 10:26 AM
Nebulous (Chris)

When and why do you upgrade your camera?

Hi all,

What criteria do you use when deciding when to upgrade your gear?

In theory, I know that I should wait until I’ve completely exhausted all the capability of my current equipment, know it all back to front, and can see exactly where and why there might be a welcome or necessary performance gain with a new camera. E.g. faster burst rate, better resolution, better AF system, or whatever.

But what I usually do is think “I haven’t had an upgrade for a while, it must be time for a new toy!”

I suspect that many people use a similar system!....

I do know that a better camera doesn’t automatically mean better pictures, and indeed a more complex camera can give you a bigger range of ways to screw up. Two of the sharpest close-ups I’ve taken were done with an inexpensive old Canon 600D body, and one of those photos (which was also very heavily cropped) used a dirt cheap Canon EF-S kit lens. So I can make a good case for simply working harder at improving my skills, getting more accurate with settings, and generally becoming quicker and more consistent.

But my wife has made an offer I can’t refuse! Every year she and a couple of girl-friends go to Bali for a week. I stay home and look after our son, and plan to take a break myself at a later date… But I just never get around to it. So Vicki said “Why not get yourself a really good new camera instead?”

Tempting.

Very tempting....

I have a small collection of Canon lenses, so it would be a Canon. Possibly a 6D Mark II - or even a 5D Mark IV. (She’s been to Bali multiple times).

Can anybody who owns similar quality cameras please tell me why they really love them, and why I should aspire to follow in their footsteps? I’m about to join a local camera club with the aim of improving my skills and knowledge, so I can tell myself that I will need really up-to-date equipment to be able to maximise my chances….

OK - It’s probably just Gear Lust rearing it’s head again…. but how do you make your upgrade decisions, and what would you go for in my place?

Cheers,

Chris