View Single Post
Old 21-10-2017, 12:37 AM
Exfso (Peter)

That is correct Paul, providers are promising the world at ridiculous prices to connect as many as possible, and all this without providing anywhere near adequate backhaul to cover the customer base, let alone during peak periods. IINet are a classic, I was signed up for a 100/40 connection and off peak was getting around 95/37,(am only 150metres from node), but come 7pm till around 11pm I got speeds approaching dial up, eg 3/.6. I contacted them and they said they had improved their backhaul, but it was a blatant untruth as it showed zero signs of improvement. I eventually go TIO involved and my contract was cancelled with no fines imposed. I am now with a very reputable company that will not sign any more people than there backhaul will allow in peak times. They constantly monitor it and if speeds start to drop, they almost immediately add more and the speeds improve to that of non peak periods. Whats more they are an Australian company run from Victoria and there is virtually no waiting time to contact them, and all their operators speak Australian English to boot
As far as NBN goes, their bloody techs are useless, I had 11 visits and it was only on the final visit that an ex-Telstra tech found what was causing my dropouts, he said he spent most of his time chasing the stuff-ups that the majority of the techs caused/did not fix. In my case it was a faulty line from my home J/box to the pole out front, he diagnosed a high resistance, removed the cable and replaced and no dropouts since. All upstream and downstream very stable. But 90% of the guys that came out refused to listen to my reasons and all went through the same process which did zip. One of the techs spent an hour talking to Bloody India of all places to try to find my problem then came up with the gem that this so called guru in India had diagnosed I had RF interference and needed to move/replace my modem Yeah right
It is one thing to provide us with an inferior system, but to add insult to injury by having incompetent techs sent out to fault find, is just not on.
It is Friday night and obviously still very busy, but as you can see from my latency that there are quite a few users on my node, but the speeds are excellent. My normal latency during non peak periods is around 5ms, currently 22ms.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (21-10-2017 12-04-28 AM.png)
51.6 KB41 views