View Single Post
Old 03-08-2016, 06:45 PM
SkyViking (Rolf)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atalas View Post
A most enjoyable view It was Rolfgood work.
Thank you Louie, glad you enjoyed it
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJT View Post
Stunning image Rolf. Top job!

THe detail in the core of those galaxies is excellent.

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks David, yeah I am particularly happy with the detail in the core dust clouds!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Yaaay! Rolf is back, Rolf is back

Lovely image! The complex halo structure is so cool on this one and you have managed to show both it and the core detail very nicely I like your composition too...but is that the full frame? I ask, as you have missed a lovely faint but large looped tidal extension that extends off the top left of the galaxy in your image there.

Nice to see you doing another (closer to) normal exposure time image too...just so us mere mortals don't feel so lazy and bad

Oh and the noise you speak of is a non issue as far as I am concerned, the majesty of your capture far surpasses the irrelevant noise.

Mike
Cheers Mike I hope to have more time for pursuing this great hobby again soon. Building a new obs at the moment!
Thanks for the kind words and yes it is the full 8300 frame. I'm aware of the faint extension and it can be glimpsed vaguely with a heavy stretch of the raw data, but at this image scale it would need a lot more hours to bring out clearly so didn't try to push the data too hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec35 View Post
Really nice Rolf. I've rarely seen such detail in NGC 1316/1317. I hope you get your permanent setup back soon.

Cheers

Steve
Thanks Steve, yeah I'm working on it! Stay tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpal View Post
Hi Rolf,
that is excellent work.
You've gone so deep - there are galaxies everywhere.
It seems to be better than this APOD:
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap080902.html
maybe you should submit it?

cheers
Allan
Thank you very much Allan, you're too kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
That brought back some of the excitement I (dimly) remember from when I was very little and first learning about astronomy.

Brilliant image, great depth, nice colour, and a great explanation.

Best,
Mike
Thanks a lot Mike, it's always great to get excited about astronomy. I'm glad you enjoyed the image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Fantastic work. Love it.

Greg.
Thank you Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
I'll have to check it on my laptop when I'm with it but it looks fantastic Rolf. The galaxies are a viewing pleasure
Cheers Colin, it is a very cool pair of galaxies for sure and somewhat under-imaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc4darkskies View Post
Exquisite Rolf!
Thank you Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR View Post
Very nice Rolf.
Thanks Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantnerd View Post
Splendid work Rolf
Thanks a lot Luis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
I'll add to the superlatives.

Love your work
Thanks very much Peter, very kind of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham.hobart View Post
exquisite !
Thank you Graham!
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_draco View Post
Even on my telling bone, that's a gob smacker. Wow!
Lol, glad you liked it Rom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
Nice work Rolf, even if it is shallow by your standards. I like the detail and the tidal tails. The core detail looks good too. The detail in NGC1310 (I think) is also very good. Lovely framing Rolf. Like you say the noise is the only killer really. It would probably only need another 20 or so hours, but without a permanent setup it would be hard to get that and beside I am sure you will gather more data on this in the future.
Thanks a lot Paul, it may be shallow in comparison with a couple of other images, but for some reason it still took me 2 years to get this data
Yes NGC1310 is a nice litte galaxy with interesting detail. I just tried to make sure I got it in the frame and didn't really know what it looked like until I started integrating
I certainly might be tempted to add more to this data sometime in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topheart View Post
Superb!
Tim
Thank you Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandopg View Post
Rolf,
This project has been taken to the perfection in all respects,

Thanks for sharing this beauty,

Fernando
Thanks a lot Fernando!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG Hybrid View Post
Great work Rolf. A master class in how its done again!
Thank you Adrian, not sure it is master class material but I was happy with the result.