View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 11:07 AM
rrussell1962

I've had no problems with the accuracy on Sky Safari, I use it on a couple of mount types and it seems fine. One minor point to look out for if you ever need to find an object by entering RA and Dec into Starbook Ten is that, as far as I can make out, Starbook Ten uses current epoch, or the co-ordinates when it was designed, and not J2000 co-ordinates. Although I am ready to be corrected on that point. I can't find any reference in the manual as to the co-ordinate epoch used, but certainly the displayed co-ordinates in Starbook Ten do not match the J2000 co-ordinates. The differences are pretty small though. The battery on the router is good for 5 hours or so from memory. I have a Lithium Ion battery pack with 12V and USB outputs that does me for an evening powering the mount and router. The router has the inbuilt battery and a USB power socket. Usually though I'll get out around 8 or 9 and pack up around midnight or 1 so the router battery is fine.

It is nice to have double star lists without needing to search by SAO as we discussed by PM, also I use macs at home so entering details to Starbook Ten for comets is a non-starter, which motivated me to find a solution.

Just by-the-by, I recall that other people have used an Apple Airport express to do the same job, but I wanted to get away from needing a mains power supply so gave it a go with the battery powered router.

Have fun shopping today, let me know how you get on.

Last edited by rrussell1962; 05-08-2015 at 11:33 AM.