Thread: LiteCrawler
View Single Post
Old 27-12-2017, 11:47 AM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
I thought you’d already sacrificed the 120...

Have to say, it’s a lot less effort with a refractor, but a field rotator is still top of my wish list
Nah not yet... always meant to but never got around to it. I had sent it off to get cleaned but it came back exactly the same as I sent it off and figured no one would want to buy it as it was, even heavily discounted (if anyone does, PM me!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpiel View Post
Awwww shame..!

I really hope you get that observatory built. I wish I had somewhere to put one. I spent an hour putting the Lunt LS60 into its box along with eyepieces into their box and the heq5 head into its box and the binoviewers into theirs etc so I could take off for two days and visit my mum. Has rained prolifically of course since arriving but did make me wish I never had to pack anything up again to take it anywhere.

Sorry bout your mould. Hope you get your troubles sorted and can be back to enjoying life.

Maybe reflectors actually are better..? Won't be telling my refractor that tho. Refractors are very pretty to look AT.
Yeah, tearing down / setting up would preclude me from doing any imaging at all. I don't get much active time these days with a 1yo daughter and having such a long commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
But Lee, it’s not like the mirror of a newt is disposable...

Sorry, just say “Bah Humbug” and I’ll go away
Nah you're right of course. At the time I made the decision I thought the fungus was between the lens elements on the Esprit (I've been assured otherwise by Tasco now)... I can't dismantle a triplet objective myself to clean myself (at least not if I want to use it again), but I can take out a mirror and clean it easily enough. Mirrors can also take a bit of a beating before significantly impacting imaging performance and if it ever came to it, resurfacing the mirror isn't terribly expensive and even replacing the mirror will be way cheaper than replacing a triplet objective.

In addition to the above, if I ever get the damned thing working, I should be able to get better resolution with the newt and it should be a lot better in terms of SNR - F5ish (with the Paracorr) vs F7.