View Single Post
Old 15-01-2021, 10:00 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyRene View Post
So I went to Bintel and can't have it serviced until the first week of Feb as Don is snowed under at the moment. That's fine. I'll wait.

Until then I have another question. When I'm polar aligning and adjusting the altitude bolt, it is really stiff to turn which makes fine adjustments very hard (I end up over-shooting as I need to apply additional force). When I take the load off the bolt moves smoothly. I weighed my scope and it comes in at 12kg, well inside the upper load limit of the mount which is 20kg.

Could I apply some lubricant to aid in making it easier to turn?

Rene
When you look at the Skywatcher website or look the 2019 Skywatcher brochure, the max payload of the AZEQ6 is 22kg
From my understanding this rating is not de rated or adjusted for long exposure Astrophotography
I’ve always adhered to the recommended 65% factor when determining your mount payload rating for long exposure Astrophotography
I could be totally incorrect but using the general rule of thumb ( 65% factor ) the AZEQ6 would have a recommended long exposure Astrophotography max payload rating of 14.5kg
Both my EQ6-R mounts have a Skywatcher max payload rating of 22kg so therefore a recommended long exposure Astrophotography max payload rating of 14.5kg
I’ve weighed my rig at my dark site and it comes in at 14.5kg ( 8” f5 newt including all the ancillary Astro imaging gear )
On good stable nights my guiding in Dec is around 0.50 to 0.60 arc sec error and RA around 0.70 to 0.80 arc sec error.
I’m confident that I couldn’t achieve the above guiding error with another 7kg on board ( ie with the Skywatcher 22kg of payload on board my mount )
I welcome any comments in regards to AP payloads