View Single Post
Old 15-01-2021, 07:43 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Balancing the AZEQ is always a bit tricky due to how the clutches work (AZEQ6 and EQ6 have totally different clutch designs)

The weight of the equipment and counterweights is sitting on top of the Dec clutch when the mount is set with counterweights down and it will make the clutch drag. To balance the Dec you need to release the clutch and rotate the mount so that the counterweights are slightly up (Above the RA axis) and you will probably find that the Dec axis suddenly frees up and becomes easy to balance. The RA is harder as you can't tip the axis down to take the weight off the clutch. I just balance it by pushing on the counterweight with one finger and trying to judge if it takes the same amount of force to get the RA to move both ways. I doubt it would drop far enough but if you could lower the altitude adjustment far enough to get the RA to point slightly downward it might free that clutch too. Now I have thought of that I may give it a try. When imaging I sit mine on a pier so if it works I could just shim the pier plate on the north side to allow the RA to be lowered below the horizontal for balance.

I am getting about 0.7-0.8" guiding out of my Orion Atlas AZEQ6 clone regularly.