Thread: I've got a SPOT
View Single Post
Old 14-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Kevnool (Kev)
Fast Scope & Fast Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeny View Post
I've lashed out on a new toy... a SPOT II Satellite GPS Messenger. I used to have an EPIRB (they weren't called PLBs when I bought it) but it was one of the old ones that isn't on the right frequency anymore and was past its 7 year battery life (and never been activated...)

I haven't been doing nearly as much adventurous stuff over the last few years, so I haven't been keen to lash out $400 or more for an up to date PLB, but after reading about a motorcyclist that went missing 4 years ago, I thought I might get some use out of a SPOT. This poor fellow went for a ride by himself on the Putty Rd and went missing... until he was found, 3 years later, not far off the road. Now I don't consider the Putty Rd remote, so it just makes you aware of how easily things can go badly wrong.

I do a fair bit of touring on the bike lately, often by myself, so a SPOT will provide a bit of security. With tracking on, even if I can't set the thing off, at least there's a place to start looking.

Al.
Yes Al they a great, Some can call them toys but they work I am in charge of 10 of these units and they tell me were all my work crews are.
Spot is in my favorites at home and I have one dedicated computer at work solely for spot.
P.s I have a huge supply of AAA alkaline batteries on hand.

Great thread.
Cheers