View Single Post
Old 10-08-2020, 08:45 AM
BobT (Bob)
Bob T

Camera help needed

This is my first post and I am a real beginner with a couple of camera questions. I have a Nexstar Evolution 8”. Hopefully someone here will have the answers.
I have only used it a little but since once was a professional photographer I really want to be able to cspture images of what I am viewing. Also my wife has trouble looking through an eyepiece and having the image visible on my laptop would allow her to be involved.
I looked at getting either a ZWO ASI178 MC or the ZWO ASI183 MC, both were recommended by a couple of Australian retailers. I then did a bit of research and discovered the “oversampling problem”
I wrote to Celestron and they suggested using a focal reducer and perhaps a ZWO ASI294MC-P with larger pixels than the two I had picked out. Unfortunately, this camera is too expensive for me.
Both the 183 and the 178 have 2.4um pixels, and the telescope has a 2032mm focal length. This combination gives a .25 result from the formula (pixel size x 206 / focal length) and from reading I believe this will give me a lot of oversampling.
My questions are: -
1. Is it worth buying a focal length reducer for imaging planets and the moon?
2. If so, is the .5 reducer available from a large online store for $29 worth buying?
3. Which camera would you prefer, the 178 (6.3mp) or the 183 (20.1mp)?
4. I also own an Olympus M5 mark 1 and would like to attach it to the telescope. Which adaptors and TMounts are required to mount it to the 1.25” eyepiece mount?