Thread: New Nova?
View Single Post
Old 18-01-2018, 11:55 AM
Rob_K

Great job on the spectra Terry and Ken. I’ve taken spectra the last 2 nights and notice that the H-alpha emission is quite broad - I’ll process them when I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
You should have a nice surprise in your PM this morning...CBET 4472 was amended (minor changes) and a new CBET 4473 released.
When a professional astronomer who has been studying variables for 40 yrs notes in her email "very interesting object" then you know ya dun good!...again congrats Rob.
Thanks so much for your help Peter, yes, you hope that anything you discover is of interest scientifically as there’s little point in discovering things otherwise! My greatest regret in astronomy revolves around the last outburst of recurrent nova V745 Sco in 2014. I had monitored it for years and one morning while I was away on work I photographed the field and raced back to my motel to look at the results. Right on the nova position there appeared to be an extremely faint star. But I was very busy and had a big day ahead of me out in the bush, so I convinced myself that it was probably just an artifact. Just seemed too much time and trouble to properly process it and put out appropriate alerts. A day-&-a half later Rod Stubbings announced the discovery of V745 Sco at mag 9. If only I had reported that it could possibly be rising, think of the additional valuable data that could have been obtained!

Cheers -