View Single Post
Old 18-02-2016, 03:49 PM
Ru1s (Chris)

first off wow, you guys are quick.
dimithri86 -> yep generally the idea.
glend -> thanks
raymo -> no was unaware of field rotation. but must be better than my 8" OTA on a homemade dob mount unguided right ?
rustigsmed -> perhaps the 8" may find a new home on a HEQ5 sometime down the track. and OMG those photo's are amazing. but the increased light gain should equal shorter exposures required right ? ( over the aforementioned 8" ) or my neighbours 6" mak-cass celestron nextar 6se. being a alt-az same issue with field rotation right ?

and again wow thanks all for speedy info.

ok so i know my 8" my exposures have to be really short like 2 seconds MAX. ( no auto guiding )
i also know my neighbours 6se we can get 10 - 15 sec exposures before we get star trails be it either from drive errors or field rotation i cannot say.

in conclusion I am coming out of this thinking that perhaps the autoguider whilst not ideal now.
1 > Would come in handy for adapting the 8" on a EQ mount later down the track.
2 > The added guide capabilities would keep the 14" steadier and could up exposure to 15 - 30 sec's perhaps ?

If the 2nd is true and 30 sec exposures is achievable then deep sky stacker and photoshop should manage the rest.

is this correct or is my thinking out of alignment ?