Thread: Polar Alignment
View Single Post
Old 14-07-2020, 07:14 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Gee Rob that’s a big scope there, and f4 too which are certainly more difficult to collimate compared to an f5
Any particular reason why you went or this scope for visual ?? This scope is primarily an Astro graph for imaging (it can be used for visual but primarily for Astrophotography with a coma corrector)
This scope on its own without imaging gear ( 15kg) is slightly over weight for Long exposure Astrophotography on an EQ6-R Mount
My EQ6-R carries my 200mm f5 newt and with all imaging gear and dew control etc.. at 14.5kg pretty much on the limit for AP but I can guide under an arc sec and push 5 minute subs ok with precise balancing etc..
If I upgraded to a 250mm Imaging newt I would definitely have to upgrade my mount to something like an EQ8-R pro
I recommend you buy an Orion 20mm 70 degree illuminated reticle eye piece for your star alignment and polar alignment centering, they are a great tool and well worth the expense
I still use mine for alignment on my 12” Goto visual dob as they work so well, good optics, nice wide field and plenty of eye relief
Cheers