View Single Post
Old 23-07-2011, 03:12 AM
netwolf

Bias, Darks, Flats and Scaling.

Hi All,

It just wont stop raining in Sydney, so plenty of time to dwell on processing and make sure I am geting this right.

Please check this and see if I got this right.

1. 10 Dark frames aquired at Temp -10 and 1x1 bin at X seconds.
2. 10 or more Bias frames aquired at Temp -10 and 1x1 bin, near to zero seconds. Create Master Bias.
3. Remove Master Bias and median stack 10 darks to make Scalable Master Dark.

Then we can
1. Acquire Light frames taken at -10 and 1x1 bin, with expousre time < X seconds.
2. Above Master Bias removed from Lights.
3. Remove Master scalable dark from Lights.

Is that right essentially you can use the Master Scalable Dark and Master Bias with any Lights with exposure time less than that of the Darks. So ideally you only need to keep Darks of the longest Exposure you are likley to do for a given Temp and Binning.

Do Bias frames need to be taken in the optical train?

Now I assume for Flat frames of Exposure < X with Temp -10 and 1x1 bin we can also use the same Scalable Master Dark and Master Bias as above to create the Master Flat Frame to remove from the above Lights.

From what I have read Flat frames exposure time needs to be set to get 1/3 to 2/3 saturation level of the chip. So then am I correct in assuming that Flat frames dont have to be the same Exposure lenght as the Lights?
Further then the Master Flat frame thus created as explained above, woudl be applicable to any Lights with temp and binning the same as the Flats.

So in the end you have in your library.
1. Scalable Master Dark for each Temp -T, and binning ZxZ with exposure equal to or greater thant the largest exposure you are going to take.
2. Master Bias for each Temp -T, and binning ZxZ, zero second exposure.
3. Master Flat for each Temp -T, and binning ZxZ, 1/3 to 2/3 saturation.

So then your librbary is independant of Exposure time, as long as Exposure time of Lights is less than the Scalable Master Dark.

Ouch my brain hurts.

Regards
Fahim