View Single Post
Old 21-07-2019, 06:35 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
The QHY version is not cheap. $US8k...

Also I am not convinced (after having tinkered with QHY183 BSI CMOS OSC camera) the well depth is adequate.

After having just returned from Parkes, with a few people commenting on how good the dynamic range of these (and similar) sensors was/is....I am so far mystified on how to put theory in to practice.

My results to date have been good...but saturated stars with bugger-all faint data I am finding to be a challenge.

I'm happy to admit, it might be a learning curve on my part...but so far I have not managed to crack the code.
That 183 camera has a micro 4/3rds 20mp BSI sensor. BSI also increases well depth but its still a very small sensor. Around the size of the 8300 sensor or perhaps a bit smaller.

The full frame sensors would perform better. They have quite good well depth, extremely low read noise.

US$8K is around AUD$13K landed which is a lot for a OSC camera when the mirrorless camera with the same sensor is going to be under AUD$5K.
How valuable is the cooling? It gets rid of the star eater but also loses pixel shift tech and compactness/portability and no need for a computer.

I think there is little doubt that the A7rii, iii and iv sensors are cutting edge tech and the best out there in CMOS land.

Greg.