View Single Post
Old 23-05-2017, 08:22 PM
Jocksquin (Ron)

EQ & Polar alignment with Nexstar SE

I have a Nexstar 6SE as my travel scope and it works a treat for visual and planetary and I have had some success with taking video of Jupiter and the moon to date - all good so far and has exceeded my expectations,having replaced a short tube SW refractor.

I thought I might take full advantage of the Nexstar so I bought a wedge at a good price with a plan to do some basic deep sky photography - and yes I know the limitations with this setup.
I also have a Skywatcher EQ with 8" newt for the more detailed stuff.

I am looking for someone who can assist me with some issues I have with EQ alignment of the wedge mounted OTA.
The mount performs flawlessly in alt-az mode but for the life of me,I cannot get and EQ alignment when out under the stars.
I have reloaded the firmware using CFM to latest releases and tried everything, but in EQ mode,the mount won't point accurately during EQ alignment phase and it stops when slewing to some of the chosen stars,and won't go further(but you can see it's trying).

I checked the correct EQ and polar alignment processes for my Nexstar+ handcontrol with Celestron Tech Support and have documented and tested them during daylight and it works fine through to Polar alignement (without known star positions accurately of course),so the problem is really at night with inaccurate pointing and refusal to point to some stars plus I get "lockups" or stalls half way through the slew where the mount refuses to continue the slew.

For the record,at the start of alignment,the tripod is level,the wedge plate and mount base are pointed at the SCP and set at my lat. angle of 38 deg south and the OTA is pointing north and aligned with the meridian.

Either I have a fault or I am missing something - I hope someone can assist either on the forum or via PM.
Oh,one last thing - Ii have opened up the ALT slew limits to +90 and -45 but it makes no difference (sle limits don't apply for AZ as the mount should rotate 360 deg around the SCP in AZ.

Rgds
Ron