Thread: Sketching tips
View Single Post
Old 20-11-2011, 10:05 AM
CChelle (Michelle)

Wow!

Alex, your sketches are AMAZING! Thanks so much for sharing this. I read in the intro to the StarryNight program that came with my scope, that sketching was a good way to record what you see and I did an EXTREMELY basic sketch of Jupiter with all 5 of her moons last night. Then I got my first good look at the Orion Nebula and wished I had a black pad and pastels. This morning I found this thread and I am so excited! Today I am going to turn this house upside down to find my plack pastel paper and some pastels and pens (they've been packed away years ago when I got bored with pastel drawing and went on to goodness knows what hobby followed that one). Even if there is not good viewing tonight I am going to start practicing this technique and just draw some imaginary things from the memory of what I saw.

I just remembered something that I learned from my pastel days. There is a pastel paper that is like a very fine grade sand paper. It has fabulous tooth that is great for building up layers and it would be wonderful for this type of drawing. You can paint it first with black ink and then draw on it when the ink is dry

Last edited by CChelle; 20-11-2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Adding more.