View Single Post
Old 13-07-2016, 11:38 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerg View Post
Hi all,

I'm considering the use of insulated panels such as used for commercial freezer construction, for the main wall and roof cladding material for a new observatory. The product would be colourbond coated on the outside, 70mm thick insulated, coated on the inside.

One person insisted to me that structures constructed from this kind of material have condensation issues. In the context of an observatory that will have some ventilation as compared to a freezer scenario, this doesn't make sense to me.

Can anyone comment from personal experience on whether an observatory made from freezer panels is a good idea?

Regards,
Roger.
Hi Roger,I have made a roll of box for my 16" Dob, it is made of freezer cold room material.
it is a sandwich of polystyrene between two sheets of metal.
It is 50mm thick.
2 meters long x 1.4meters high.
I have had no sign of any moisture in it at all in the 14 months since I built it.
It is usually 5-10° cooler inside than out on a hot Queensland summers day
I would say to the doubters build one and see.
There is now skirting on all four sides but with the very small gap for clearance
this also acts as ventilation.
I also have my garden shed roll off roof observatory with insulation of polystyrene
and no moisture in there either,you just need some ventilation whatever observatory you have.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (roll off box.jpg)
136.7 KB220 views

Last edited by astroron; 13-07-2016 at 11:49 PM.