View Single Post
Old 15-09-2020, 12:21 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

+1 for encoder/Nexus equipped Dob...

I first encountered the Astro Devices encoders & Nexus DSC when they were included in the purchase of a custom built 12" 'travel friendly' dobsonian. The scope is a Gondwana Marana made by our own Mental4Astro (Alex)...

When I purchased the scope, the thought of only having push to & no tracking was of some concern to me but, nevertheless, I pressed ahead...

Since owning one, I have to say the not having tracking is a non-issue. I love my encoders & nexus dsc so much, I have in fact changed my other visual setups & now have a Stellarvue M2C mount coupled with Astro Devices encoders, mounted atop a Berlebach Uni 18 tripod. I use my existing Nexus DSC with this combination.

It is pure joy to use... minutes to setup, very simple align process & I'm off galavanting through the skies, nailing every target I set... the countdown numbers in Alt/Az are so simple to follow it's ridiculous.

I have yet to use the wifi capability on my Nexus DSC to hook it up to Skysafari but, I daresay, that will work extremely well too...

Chat to Serge at Astro Devices, he is very easy to deal with & a great source of advice. He makes an encoder kit to suit a range of Dobsonians, including Skywatcher & they are well priced IMHO. The install instructions he provides with his kits are extremely easy to follow &, if you get stuck, he is more than happy for you to call & he will guide you along.

You will need to discuss with him which Nexus best suits your needs & it's availability..

Definitely worth having for visual use & quite honestly, far simpler to use than any of the goto systems I have used previously = much more pleasurable visual astronomy experience.

Cheers