Thread: First Telescope
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2020, 11:30 PM
Nightingale

Astro744- haha.. no gps? Omg!...

But I do agree... when you do it the hard way, you remember better.. having said that, astronomy, is not life or death for everyone... some people do not have the time or patience...

I had a lot of patience when I started with my Newtonian 25 years ago but just did not have the time.. I got very frustrated and cursed myself for not getting a proper driven scope.. not so much the GOTO function, but the tracking.. Had to keep fiddling with the setting circles the whole night.. and I was also using charts back then.. that is all we had back then! I dropped stargazing for many years in between for the fact it was taking too much of my time and I had to focus on studies (like what normal people do).. and partly because I did not have my scope with me while at uni and during the early working days..

The lx90 with the help of sky safari pro has made me learn much more and much quicker... now I can focus on the detail rather than having to adjust my scope every couple of minutes.. Mind you, the people who created these programmes and GOTO systems were all traditional Star hoppers like yourself who probably realised how much easier life would be with them around..

Having said that, if you are really passionate about astronomy and want a challenge and are extremely good with your sense of direction with ample amount of patience and time then by all means a large undriven scope would be your pick...