View Single Post
Old 18-06-2017, 11:44 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
True...the problem is air travel inside the USA.

Your two trans-pacific bags can become a liability for domestic connections beyond LAX/SFO/DFW etc.

Many US carriers charge for checked luggage. You might want to check what they allow.
You're quite correct and I should have mentioned this in my post.

When I travel with a lightweight head, My typical check in is 18kg. 21kg with the Starlapse. This time I am bringing a second backpack with some camping gear for Yellowstone. I'll also use the backpack to transport my scopes and mount up the mountain. You're not allowed to bring suitcases on the aerial tram to Rendezvous, the rule is you have to be able to carry it. So a large backpack is fine.

I was aware of the check in issue when I booked so I booked a single international ticket right through from Canberra to Salt Lake City - $1400. I only booked a week ago. Had I been able to book early this year I could have got the same ticket for $1200 but other issues at home made me hold off.

SYD-LAX tickets are $1050 odd. Buying the domestic sectors CBR-SYD and LAX-SLC separately would have cost more overall than the straight through fare.

Joe