View Single Post
Old 29-11-2018, 09:21 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
I applaud your honesty Andy. Nice post and good to see you made it turn out well for yourself and your family (if that applies).
Thanks Paul. Writing that wall of garb was not nearly as fun as reading everyone else's

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I moved around and so learnt to fight because each new school saw a line up of fools who thought they had a new victim.
I learnt early as soon as one started to rip them to bits.
I learnt that the defeated became my best friends...
...And I alomost learnt how to read and write☺
Alex
Despite the touchy feely rubbish that goes on in today's schools, this is really how it is. I feel the (relatively) primitive minds of young people respect power, before they consider consequence, or need for harmony. Hence, modern, top down approaches to bullying are feeble compared to a victim simply putting a blunt, and absolute end to it themselves. I wish I had listened to myself in that situation, rather than all the "fluff" telling me that "violence is wrong".

The biggest surprise in this bullying soap opera was that I had successfully avoided every sports day from Yr 3-11. In Yr 12, our house teacher (dishonestly) stated that we would NOT recieve our senior certificate if failed to attend. We believed her, and attended. I placed 3rd in the whole school for 100m and long jump, and was chosen for the school team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
I totally can relate to this. I ended up as a self employed contractor very early after landing here. There were opportunities at the time but you need the paper to get work these days. I encouraged both my kids to get it. Experience comes on top so does problem solving but you need the tools to apply.
I have an elderly Chinese Malay friend, who told his kids "I don't care what you become when you grow up, but you WILL do well at school, so that the choice is yours to make. You can be a garbage truck driver if you like, but only if you choose to be". They were confined to their room until all homework was done. The eldest is now a doctor, the other an accountant. I think he was stressing the point of "needing the tools to apply".

I'm trying to guide my kids in a similar way, but I think my parenting style is lacking