View Single Post
Old 27-03-2019, 09:05 AM
Wavytone

Hi brenchen I have an AZEQ6 and my scope with the usual bits is also 15kg. My first guess is you are trying to power it from an AC mains power pack which is inadequate.

The! possible causes of the motor stalling are as follows:

1. The power supply is inadequate, and I’ve seen noobs make this mistake by trying to power it off the AC mains power adapter ... this will seem to work.. until it slews - the mount can draw 4A and it really needs to be powered from a decent SLA or LiPo battery. The point here is the rating of the wall wart is inadequate and the wiring too thin for the peak current so the voltage available to the motors drops and the result is reduced torque - and it stalls. Faced with buying yet another and some heavier cable, I’d suggest bite the bullet and get a 9AH or 12AH SLA battery which is what it really needs.

Since then I have found a 4A power pack (different application - a 00 electric train set) and it is quite big and heavy and cost as much as a decent battery.

Alternatively ask an auto electrician for a secondhand (used) car battery, while no good for a car, you can usually bag one for free and they’re overkill to run a scope.

2. In trying to reduce backlash, the worm has been adjusted too tight against the worm wheel; an adjustment will fix this. Note with these mounts there’s is always a little backlash so the cure for that is to have it ever so slightly unbalanced...

3. But if the mount is grossly unbalanced it will stall in one direction... you fix...