View Single Post
Old 07-05-2018, 08:37 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzEclipse View Post
Bob,

Jupiters orbit is inclined by a small amount 1-2 degrees to the Earth's orbital plane and Europa's orbit also inclined by a small amount to Jupiters plane. Unless Jupiter is passing through ascending or descending node right at opposition and Europa is doing the same, the shadow and planet are unlikely to be perfectly aligned. This is a very very low probability event.

Jupiters orbital inclination is very small so the shadow and planet should be very close and maybe overlapping but my guess is the shadow will be above or below Europa, not passing behind it.

Joe
Thanks Joe.

I tried this observation once before, about 30 years ago! On that occasion, I saw no shadow at all. However, I only looked briefly and did not follow up later in the transit.

Your remarks are interesting and unfortunately I had not considered the slight differences in the orbital plane angles. Nevertheless, I can only try and see how it turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinderboxsky View Post
Interesting event Bob and well worth a look.
I am in country NSW enroute to the South Pacific Star Party with all my gear tightly packed away in our vehicle. If a good night I will unpack and have a look.
With Moon and shadow very close it is an opportunity to try different apertures to what is the smallest aperture one can observe Europa through it's transit.
Thanks Steve, your comments have added value to what may be attempted on the evening.