View Single Post
Old 07-06-2015, 12:08 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
This drives me crazy. I have my mount setup on a good pier in my observatory and it is dead set pointed at the SCP, and yet every single time I do an alignment on the NEQ6 using Synscan I get errors, not much (under 1') but I don't like it. I have given up on precision in polar alignment, won't waste my time with drift alignment, and concentrate on guiding now, as the alignment gets me close enough to adust and frame the target object.

If there is anyone running a NEQ6 on a pier, that has precise polar alignment, I'd like to hear how they did (or do) it.
Glen, are you using the Synscan handcontroller and what software version?

It's not the mount, it's the software. It's still buggy.

I have a Synscan GOTO kit on my Vixen GPD2. It's SCP aligned to within 8 seconds. Just for giggles recently, using my SECOND (backup) handset with V3.37 firmware installed (I usually run 3.27B), I decided to do a polar re-alignment. After doing their routine, it reported a 173° error... yep, 173°... I used Alpha Crux as the realignment star by memory... not a star I could be mistaken with. In short, the software for polar realignment is bunk.

I just do a 5-iteration 2 star alignment (home and away), and that gets me down into the LOW seconds in error. That's from starting off with merely a compass and inclinometer.