View Single Post
Old 20-06-2018, 07:51 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
Have been reading this thread with interest as I have made several ( lots ) scopes, a few that I would like to sell if there was any interest. I reckon they work as well as equivalent brand name scopes of the same aperture etc. But having noticed the amount of scopes in the classifieds that have sat there for a long time and a lot of them are , to me , very desirable, it would seem that most of the new amateurs entering the ranks have the cash available to buy new brand name gear, a sign of our more affluent times and good gear being cheaper compared to the 60s', 70s', 80s' and 90s'. I am resigned to the fact that when I've finished with my scopes and I get too old to use them as well that they will very probably end up as scrap.
Most of the atm scopes that have come up for sale are ,no doubt , of great build quality and perform excellently but if no-one wants them, what can you do. Are there any clubs out there that need donated scopes.
Jeff there are public outreach events that could probably use them. The NSWAS ran such an event during the recent ABC Star Party event. Whether they would be be prepared to assume custody of a scope is another question.