Thread: pier tops
View Single Post
Old 14-04-2017, 11:49 AM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Gday Rick

Orrrr....., you can make the plate that attaches to the mount similar to a wedge base. Ie you have three or 4 slotted holes in the baseplate so that it can rotate on the pier head, and also add new az adjust screws to allow it to be tweaked in azimuth. ( ie ignore using the Az adjust bolts in the mount itself ).
Then bolt the mount securely to the plate and fit it flush with the pier.
To adjust in Az, you loosen the 3..4 hold down bolts and rotate the plate using the new adjust mechanism. This also allows for a longer lever arm and a finer bolt pitch, which gives a much smoother and finer resolution.

I did something like this when i made a small pier extension that could take either my AZEQ5 or EQ6 and i needed to fit it to my pier head which is designed to mount my homemade wedge. The Az adjust pillars are on a different radius between the mounts and this made using a std pier extension rather difficult. So i thunk outside the square
In the piccy, the alloy plate sits on some laminex and the Az adjust mechanism is designed to match the wedge position.
The pierette is then held onto the pier using a single centre bolt extension and is done up hard. Moving the new plate in Az then rotates the pillar.
Alt adjusts are done as normal, but Az adjusts get done by the new mechanism, which easily rotates under load given the fine thread used and longer lever arm.
Works like a charm

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (New Pierette Az Adjust.jpg)
157.8 KB73 views
Click for full-size image (New Pierette and USB Hub.jpg)
151.6 KB74 views