View Single Post
Old 03-12-2020, 05:13 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evltoy View Post
Thank you all for your comments. The advice has been valuable.

I just went to see the weight of my setup and I'm on 6kg and that is with no filter wheel or Guide cam for future setups. I did read a review of a user that has been using the AVX for many years says that its recommended the payload be no more then 5kg for accurate DSO guiding.

I'm now looking closer at the Skywatcher mounts (EQ6-R) and yes the new units come with USB and cable (bonus), but the price is $1k more than what I was looking at.... I guess you get what you pay for.

Thanks again.. keep safe
Wayne
Wayne
I have two Skywatcher EQ6-R mounts at two different locations , one is the original model that has the standard RJ45 handcontroller port and the other is the latest model which has the USB2B port
I control both ( giro and navigation) using EQMOD and Stellarium with my laptop on a little table 1.8m away
The older one I use the EQDirect cable ( USB2A to RJ45 ) 1.8m long with a 3m USB extension cable ( total 4.8m long cable )
The newer one I use a USB2B to USB2B cable 5m long
The recommended max payload on these mounts for Astrophotography is around 15kg
My newer USB EQ6-R mount carries a 6” f6 newtonian reflector, 50mm finderscope, 60mm guide scope with helical focuser , ZWOASI120MM-S guide camera , ZWOASI2600MC OSC imaging camera, JMI auto focuser, Kendrick Dew heater bands, mounting bars and many cables
Payload is around 9kg
My older EQ6-R mounts carries an 8” f5 newtonian reflector , 50mm finderscope, 60mm guide scope with helical focuser, ZWOASI120MM-S guide camera, ZWOASI2600MC OSC imaging camera , JMI auto focuser, Kendrick Dew Heater bands , mounting bars and many cables
Payload is around 15kg

Both mounts track and guide really well, whisper quiet
Both mounts run sub arc sec guiding ( PHD2 ) on nights of average to good seeing

Just some further information which may be of some help

Cheers
Martin