View Single Post
Old 09-03-2017, 03:16 PM
AdamJL

thanks both for your answers.

Firstly, I agree, this website is a fantastic resource. And the biggest positive about it is (pardon my language) there are no dick heads. Whenever I've come here in the past, and even joined a Katoomba meet a couple of times, everyone was friendly and awesome.

Secondly, yes this hobby has a very steep learning curve. Unfortunately, I just don't have the time to spend getting too involved in learning and playing around with things. Maybe (and hopefully) one day in the future, but for now, the best I can do is the simple stuff.

Lastly, can I just touch on this point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
but not a simple solution that you turn on and it does everything. If you understood you'd understand how close to impossible it would be.
What I thought of was:
1. A mount. Call it whatever you want, but something that sits on a tripod of your choice.
2. This mount has GPS, or can connect via software to your phone to use its GPS.
3. Using GPS, with it's altitude data as well, the tracker instantly knows where the pole stars are, and can align, roughly in the right direction. Maybe accurate to 200mm. It's just spacial data, that's nothing new?
4. It's a sturdy mount made for photographers that can accept a tripod collar for big lenses or small.
5. Using something like the Star Sense mentioned earlier, a photographer and literally press a button and the mount uses said mini ccd/scope, compares the stars with software, and aligns the lens perfectly with the pole star region if more accuracy is required.

What am I missing, why is this so impossible?

edit:
6. Considering we can have direct feeds from DSLRs onto phones and tablets now, why can't we also just use the camera's sensor to polar-align? An app that connects to the camera, takes an X-second exposure, compares the output then shifts the mount. Once that's done, you can point the camera wherever you want.

I know this stuff can't be easy, but impossible? Almost all of it already exists, just not as a cohesive unit.

Last edited by AdamJL; 09-03-2017 at 03:46 PM.