View Single Post
Old 08-03-2017, 09:29 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
I don't have, nor want a telescope. I just want something I can mount my camera/lens to, lol
I think that is saying that it's for aligning the mount not the telescope, so it doesn't matter what you put on the mount.

This hobby is complicated, and personally I find much of the satisfaction and pride I have in the images I create comes from overcoming challenges like polar alignment, balance, framing, etc. Obviously that's just acquiring the data and processing has it's own challenges.

If you're not interested in the hardware setup side of things then perhaps you could look at one of the managed online observatories like iTelescope or Slooh. That way you can capture images without worrying about the hardware (or the weather!) and you can concentrate on processing the data.

I understand your frustration as the learning curve is steep, as is often the financial investment. In a few years maybe there will be a product that will do everything for you but for now we have to settle for the tools that at least make it a bit easier (like the Polemaster, autoguiders, or plate solving). Not to mention the awesome learning resource that is IIS!

Spare a thought for those who were doing this stuff a couple of decades ago and had to hand track their manual mounts and then wait days to see if their film exposures had turned out ok