Thread: Ranson Wear.
View Single Post
Old 28-05-2019, 08:34 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

The decline hits everyone and everyone reacts differently. I spent 5 months in a wheelchair hating every second of it. I watched as one guy on the ward pretty much willed himself to death (Ive failed to achieve that yet) but worst of all if how many people couldnt be buggered to fight to get better and instead became ultra dependent on using sympathy to get others to do things for them. Pissed me off, I would have swapped situations with them in an instant, they have no excuse to be so selfishly lazy while I was fighting tooth and nail to get on my feet. Didnt help that the prognosis was I would never walk again (this is based on their process of judging a book by its cover to diagnose me by assumption).

Wheelchair sounds an easy option, but you have to have one fitted to you (your hip width and leg bone lengths) to have any chance of comfort for long periods. You'll also fast realise how impractical and dangerous many wheelchairs accesses are in practise. The old addage of use it or lose it is 100% correct. The sooner you give in to the easy options the faster you lose what abilities remain and start gaining a ton of other problems. Pain is the far preferrable option IMO and I'm never without it.

Anyway, been interested in reading your journey with the ASIair, been eyeing one myselfand still uncertain if it'll help anything for my gear. Plus I want to rip down my rig and rebuild with optimisations. So many ideas though, not enough time or money or skill.