View Single Post
Old 09-05-2019, 08:54 PM
knightrider
Unregistered User

Alright, so the skies cleared and I got to try it out.

Used in: SW Dobsonian/Newtonian 10" F/4.7 without a coma corrector.

My impressions: The HD-60 25mm performs excellently. It shows a nice flat field with the quality of the image (to my eye) edging just ahead of the SW super plossl.
It's nice and sharp across almost the whole field.

Distortions....which I will call coma from the education in this thread, start at about 95% out, where it appears like a fishbowl lens effect at the very outer edge of the of the field. HOWEVER, it is not deterring and is honestly minimal compared to the rest of the field. It can only be seen if you're trying to fault the eyepiece.

The image appears brighter (observing the Orion Neb), but this could be because of the extra AFOV.

It resolved the spattering of stars at the centre of Omega Centauri @ x48.
And for the first time, with this lens I discovered for myself the Homunculus Nebula in Eta Carinae, I had never spotted it before even though I'd observed the Carina Nebula on quite a few occasions. It appeared as a planetary nebula would except much brighter with a transparent oval shape.

It's certainly nice to have the extra AFOV over the Plossl, and is definitely a step up from the Plossl.

Even though the performance of the Plossl is actually quite close, I felt the plossl wasn't as well corrected, and the narrow AFOV feels a little too claustrophobic when viewing some nebula's. But I will still keep it as it is certainly not a useless lens.

Hopefully someone will find this review helpful, as it's been difficult dredging through countless reviews of different eyepieces that make no mention of the type & F/L of scope they're used in.

Thanks for reading everyone.