View Single Post
Old 12-08-2018, 06:53 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Hi Tareq. Easiest thing to get started with planetary is to fit the ASI290mm to your current scope (I have no idea what that is) & filter wheel with RGB filters.

You will just need a suitable barlow or PowerMate to get a decent focal length for planetary (around 4 metres, depending on your seeing).

I got started in planetary with an ASI 290mm, a manual 1.25" filter wheel, and some cheap RGB filters on a refractor (FL 840mm), and a 5x PowerMate.

Then I upgraded to a 2nd hand motorised filter wheel, Celestron C9.25 (FL 2,350mm), and a 2.5x PowerMate.

Hope this helps.

Hi Jeff,

Thank you very much for your reply, i didn't come here earlier to check out the posts, got busy, and thought no one will be interested in to reply to my thread anyway.

I think i will not play with my ASI290mm yet, maybe i will keep it until next year, many told me that sooner or later i will need so many filters and not just LRGB, i was going to buy a mini motorized filter wheel for 5 filters, but they convinced me that it will be a waste as i will then buy more filters so i will change it, and i am still on my plan to buy full set of Astrodon filters in 1.25" size only, i have full set at 36mm but not Astrodon and that is already connected to my mono astro cooled camera for DSO, so i am not planning to use this one for planetary, unless i buy full set of Astrodon at 1.25" then replace that 36mm to be used for planetary and put Astrodon for DSO although 1.25" will cause some issues such as vignetting and i don't know how to take flats yet.

I still want to know what another filters to buy beside LRGB either for mono or camera, i see many are using IR filters either pass or cut, there is also a filter UV for Venus which will be added to my list, but i still don't know why someone told me to get CH4 [Methane] filter, i can buy it, and i saw the result, but what is it for? i heard they said just scientific things or research, but someone like me who doesn't do these things is it really important even if it is cheap and affordable?