View Single Post
Old 08-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
I grew up at dark site that was literally so dark you couldn't see your hand in front of your face. Actually, that's not true. It was so dark that you could see your hand by starlight.

My earliest memories are of lying on the lawn or sitting on the front veranda using my naked eyes to soak in the heavens. I got my first scope, a department store 40mm f/? refractor with draw-tube focuser when I was about 10. It had a tiny tripod and I had to lie on my back and rest it against a post or other fixed object to view anything higher than about 30 degrees. I recall the only object i ever saw with it (other than the moon) was M31. At least I believe it was, now. Of course, I had no idea what it was at the time. The memory is so strong that I reckon I could stand on the veranda of that house and point to that exact point on the northern horizon, just above tree line. Unfortunately, that house has since burnt down. Bloody top memory, though. That was the moment I decided I would have a 'big telescope when I was all grown up'.

That was 34 years ago. I have big telescopes now. I must be all grown up.

Mark
Awwww that was such a cute story Mark lol @ all grown up now
Well done for following your dreams from when you were a kid