View Single Post
Old 25-02-2013, 07:04 PM
Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
Hi Rod

TK-68 is a very old cerium - I'm not sure if its available any more. I used to use it - don't remeber it being particularly aggressive. if your surface doesn't clean up to a nice sphere quickly maybe your pitch is too hard and you are not pressing enough . I always use polishers on the soft side and get nice smooth zone free surfaces cold pressing fairly regularly. What kind of pitch are you using ?

Mark
Thanks Mark

That doesn't surprise me I got it 16 years ago and I suspect my friend had it for several years before that. Good to know you found it ok. Do you recommend finishing with rouge? I have some I bought from willmann-bell. I found it needs elutriating or else you get lots of sleeks.

I am using gugolz pitch which again I have had for several years. I softened it with castor oil. The lap needs trimming every 3 or 4 hours so I assumed it was soft enough.

I think the zones were caused by too aggressive work by me to reduce a central hill - led to a deep depression. I am used to faster mirrors so have had to learn to be more gentle!

Rod