View Single Post
Old 20-11-2014, 10:00 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianh72 View Post
LEDs are starting to be used in industrial lighting applications. They cost quite a bit more than the mercury and sodium lights that they replace, but have much longer lifetime between replacement, and much lower energy costs, so are cheaper over their lifetime, despite their higher installation cost. They are also designed to point much more accurately than the older light fittings, so can generate a lot less light spill / pollution. I would expect to see them make their way into public spaces over the coming years, but it will probably be a couple of decades before the transition is complete, because they are still not a viable option for the high-mast lights that you see at major intersections, sports stadiums, etc.
Thanks Julian - makes me believe more that they're mercury here, although they're well shielded because they cast mostly down, at least, in my neighbourhood

Where I'm from originally, LED streetlights are commonplace...yes they cost more to install but they use a fraction of the energy and have much lower maintenance costs. Or at least, that's what the local councils told central government when they were suckling for subsidies but some councils are even more faithful to the spirit of saving energy and actually switch the things off late at night! No "coal is our future!" there