Thread: Eyepieces
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2020, 03:22 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Brett
Sounds like you would under Bortle 6 or 7 skies in outer suburban Newcastle
which is medium level light pollution
The main thing is to try and avoid any street lighting and neighbours outdoor lights washing across or hitting the end of your OTA. I have used a small tarp to shadow the scope when I use my old 10” dob in Sydney. My 12” Goto is in dark skies so no problem with stray light
Also great news you don’t suffer from Astigmatism, the focuser will correct your vision to get pinpoint stars
My advice is to eventually swap your standard straight through finder scope to an Orion 9x50 right angled illuminated reticle finder. They are worth the investment especially when your doing a star alignment , so much easier , quicker and more accurate when centering your stars. I also use an Orion 20mm 70deg illuminated reticle eye piece for star alignment which compliments the finder scope. My alignment method ( 2 star alignment ) is so accurate , the scope navigates across the sky with objects ending up well within the FOV and sometimes centered
As far as eye pieces go, I’d stick with your 10mm and 25mm Plössl for the moment until you gain some observing skills and then when you can afford it , buy some eye pieces with a wider apparent field of view ( say up to 68 degrees ) If at some stage down the track you want to use ( and can afford ) premium high end quality eye pieces I can steer you in the right direction with Televue
A laser Collimator and a Cheshire is a must as well. I use Orion brand for both. I check collimation every time I use the scope , it only takes 5 minutes, some people don’t bother
Hope the above is useful information
Cheers