View Single Post
Old 20-07-2016, 08:39 AM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Excellent work Ray, thank you. I will give it a try when the moon gets out of the way and if the clouds ever go. I will print it out and laminate it for the wall of the observatory workstation. I, for one, would be happy to pay for a little ASI1600 Android app that calculates sub lengths based on present conditions, i guess it would need to interface with the SQM app ( which i believe exists now) , or receive manual input of SQM reading from a handheld unit. Sort of an ASI 1600 exposure metre app.
I have been using 60" at Unity gain (139), but seems i need to try the mag20 f5 numbers now.
Thanks Glen - hope it turns out to be useful. I have not the slightest inkling on how to write an app, but I used to do assembler programming, so I guess it might be do-able.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Very interesting Ray, I am assuming that the Gain 0 decrease in total count is caused by the 3.6e- read noise?
Hi Colin. I think that the kick up in read noise at zero gain causes the drop, but it is a good question to ask. Might also be some compounded reading error in getting data across from the ZWO graphs - will go back and check. thanks.

EDIT: checked with a little more care on reading the ASI data - the results look a bit more consistent, but are essentially the same, with the dynamic range dropping a little at gain zero because of the read noise profile. Have upgraded the original post with the "better" data and also rounded off the suggested exposures to better reflect the inherent inaccuracy of the underlying data. thanks again.

Last edited by Shiraz; 20-07-2016 at 10:20 AM.