View Single Post
Old 21-11-2018, 05:45 PM
Don Pensack

Quote:
Originally Posted by morls View Post
That's interesting Nick. The latest observations with this scope have been encouraging - last night I was again able to use the 8mm on the moon, and I don't think the seeing was particularly good. This is twice in as many sessions after getting the diagonal and tweaking the collimation, whereas before these changes I hadn't been able to use the 8mm at all.
I'm going to keep my options open regarding which focal length Delos I'll get in this range of magnification, and might try some cheaper options at 9, 8 and maybe even 7 (380x) to see what this setup is capable of before putting down the big bucks on a premium.
I've also ordered in a Baader Steeltrack focuser, so I'm slowly getting things lined up to push the optics.
Why add the rear mounted focuser? Adding the length on the back end will increase the focal length of the scope and narrow the true field of each eyepiece. That is an add-on oriented to the astrophotographer who needs to make sure the image doesn't move when focusing, but that's not important for visual use. I would have spent the money on eyepieces.