View Single Post
Old 15-12-2015, 07:43 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
So what does a metered connection mean? Does it mean I will decide when to do the updates or does it decide when the system is connected to the internet, which always in the case of remote imaging? If it decides it will do a reboot in the middle of the night after it installs an update this will cause a failure in the roof drive system to close should the sky conditions change. I know this because I have had this once before in the early days of setting up the automation. Fortunately it was a cloud free night but it could have been catastrophic. I now have windows updates turn off all the time. And; hence my comment. Failure is not an option in this situation. I am sure Microsoft just wants everyone on the same system so that each computer is always up to date. No doubt this sort of situation is not even in their purview, but remote science experiments would also potentially suffer from reboots.

Windows 10 is absolutely fantastic. I love it - seriously. But I don't recommend it for your remote observatory for the reasons you state. Stick to 8.1 for the moment that has all of the benefits and none of the drawbacks.

I have run into update issues with my remote observatory already. It waits until you are doing nothing before an update which is great unless you are waiting for an occultation! MS will have to relax that behaviour for businesses to adopt it, so maybe it will be a short lived policy to get over the inevitable glitches...

(Thinking about it, I wonder if I set the observatory LAN to Metered and fool it to not update!)