Thread: Messier 55
View Single Post
Old 24-08-2019, 05:14 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Messier 55

My second night out with the Mewlon 250 imaging and I must say I'm quite enjoying the whole longer focal length thing. I'm way over sampling at 0.4"/pixel but as I've only got one camera to work with at the moment I just deal with what I've got.

The seeing wasn't great last night, the best I could achieve with 5s focusing images was about 2.5" around 11pm and with the stacked images being 3", it was interesting watching how much the FWHM varied between 300s subs going between 7.25 pixels all the way out to 12 and back down again. After 1am best focus was at 4" with 5s focus images. On nights like that I do see why wide field imaging is so forgiving

Coming from a fast refractor it's great seeing no kind of discolouration around stars except for that induced by the atmosphere. So here is Messier 55, one of several globular clusters I imaged throughout the night. It also has my longest integration of the night at a whopping 2 hours!

24x300s unguided at 0.4"/pixel.

High Res Link

One night I'll get the Mewlon out under good seeing and see what it's capable of.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M55 IIS.jpg)
179.7 KB115 views