Thread: Pentax DSLR
View Single Post
Old 21-09-2005, 05:49 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janoskiss
Thanks Dennis, but for what I want to do, I don't see a need for third party software that works with the camera. I just want something that counts the photons falling on its image plane as accurately as possible. After getting the raw data off the camera, any software I use should be independent of where the three arrays of R,G,B values came from. The main thing I'd be interested in is the quality of the raw data collected by the camera's sensor.
Just make sure you understand what you may be "throwing away" if you do go down the Pentax path. I haven't explored ImagePlus and DSLRFocus, but I believe they allow you to focus using your notebook computer by downloading and assessing images, as well as performing operations from the PC to e.g. take 10 exposures of 5 mins duration. Some of this can be done with the Pentax, but the implementation for Canon and Nikon seems to be more advanced.

I have used the Pentax Remote Control software (free) and you can perform some limited operations from a PC but it does not seem as flexible and rich as the other 3rd party applications.

In my case, the backwards compatibility with my existing lenses was a more important requirement than the other stuff.

Cheers

Dennis