View Single Post
Old 31-05-2019, 04:57 PM
Startrek (Martin)

I have no view of the SCP at both imaging sites and have been solely using the Skywatcher Synscan Polar Alignment Routine on my HEQ5 and EQ6-R for a couple of years now with great success ( much quicker than drift )
Normally takes 15 to 20 minutes to get down to < 15 arc sec error ( 2 to 4 iterations ) I only use a 2 star alignment close to the SCP and alternate each star for PA ( eg Hadar and Acrux as they are in close proximity ) if I use stars far apart in azimuth ( say 60 to 70 deg ) I can be all night trying to get the PA error down as your chasing your tail
Once your PA is done you can do another 2 star alignment with stars further apart for more Goto accuracy
There’s only one catch though , I now use BYEOS ( PA align target )with my DSLR to centre the stars with the hand controller , prior to that I used an Orion 20mm 70 deg illuminated reticle eye piece to centre which still worked well. No more stiff necks now as I just sit at my Laptop and complete my Synscan PA routine in comfort and with more control
Another hint is to de focus your stars into a small donut and centre them that way , it’s far more accurate
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2A39E635-0730-44CB-A6C7-47A785E1C9D4.jpg)
175.0 KB28 views