View Single Post
Old 14-03-2019, 04:49 PM
skogpingvin (Bill)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Are you trying to align in AltAz mode or EQ mode? If in Alt As you need to sit up the mount pointing to true North initially, so that it has a reference point. Then follow the Alt As alignment procedure. The dovetail clamp should be on the right side when the mount is facing North (this worked for me, but you may need to upgrade the software from the Skywatcher website. Initial loads may only support left side dovetail). I suggest you read through the extensive thread on tge Cloudy Nights forum that is dedicated to the Skywatcher Alt Az wifi mount (its in the Mount sub-forum).

Thanks for this, it's helpful.

Yes we're aligning as an Alt-Az using the SynScan app for Android - not the Pro. I thought the SynScan Pro app was for EQ mounts only.

We set the scope up as designed - this one only sets up one way. It's the SW Star Discovery 127 Mak (https://skywatcheraustralia.com.au/p...very-maksutov/)

I looked for the CN thread you mentioned - it seems to be about the SW Mini AZ GTi mount or SkySafari. That's not the mount we're having problems with, and we're running the SynScan app. But I realise they're both controlled in the same way by the same software.

I'll see if I can find some instructions for the Android app and check out any alignment details to see if we're missing something that's different to the iOS app.

It seems strange that it works without problems with an iPhone and not the Android.