View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 12:16 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

Hi again,
Finally got to get outside last night to give it a go at setting it up.
Didn't quiet go as well as i was hoping it to.
It is due to myself still being new to the stars i am guessing.
I ended up using the SynscanInit 2.0 program just to make sure i was entering everything in correctly the first time through.
Then first off i though i would do the two star alignment,
I ended up choosing Hadar as the first star being a pointer to the Southerncross, at least i think it was Hadar, then went to choose Antares as the second star.
Scope slew around as i was told, but ended up settling on something that wasn't there, no where even remotely close to Antares, I got thinking that what i thought was Antares was completely something else ( myself being new to the stars)
So, i turned it all off, set it up again and this time thought i would just chose brightest star alignment.
This time i went with Alpha Centauri as it came up first, I hope i am correct in saying it is the first of the Southercross pointers?
Alpha Centauri ( Rigil Kent) then Hadar?
So i chose Alpha Centauri, set it in the centre of the eyepiece and then it came up with a second star to go to, not sure what it was called now, but just pressed enter and let it go.
When it finished, it wasn't lined up with any stars, but out of interest i pressed enter to confirm everything, then told it to go to Mars just to see what happens.
When it finished going to Mars, i found the same thing, not even remotely close to it, way off.
Just wondering what i am doing wrong here,
I am guessing my initial first star alignment is incorrect, but i am 90% sure i am working off Southercross.
Sorry for the long post, But interested to here any thoughts on what i might be doing incorrect.
I wouldn't be able to get out to the stars for a week or so due to work though.
Thanks.