Thread: 8" Newt for AP
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2017, 12:26 AM
cadman342001 (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
Focus on sorting out one thing at a time well, because the "wants" and costs are never going to end
8" is a lot more light sucking power than the 6" - you may regret not getting the 8" later on.

If you get hooked you'll eventually be buying more cameras, guide scopes, guide cameras, computers, laptops, software, possibly an off-axis guider, focus motor, dew heaters. It all starts with the mount and OTA.

8" on HEQ5Pro is a very workable combo. I've only ever used F5, but believe F4 a lot more demanding to collimate and focus for the extra FOV you gain. Guiding around 1000mm focal length is a reasonable challenge best of times whichever you buy. Just be aware you're getting in the deeper end of the pool if you skip starting with out with a refractor.

What camera will you be using?
Yeah, I realise it will all snowball but I'm fine with incremental investments via add-ons after the initial lump sum !

Camera is a Nikon D800 but may pick up a cheap used possibly converted crop Canon in the future as the clip in narrowband filters are not available for Nikon I think. I've been told the D800's 36 MP are too many for AP ? I do have the option of crop mode 15MP files and it does have excellent dynamic range.